The PhD in Management program is designed to empower working professionals to excel as researchers, leaders, and change-makers in both business and academia.
Explore challenges and opportunities in the fast-evolving field of management through the ACBSP-accredited PhD in Management program from Walden University. Conduct original research in a specific area of interest to generate new knowledge, strategies, and best practices in the field. You can also study ways to facilitate positive social change through original research in ethical decision-making and socially responsible business practices.
This specialization is ideal for those who want to pursue original research and advanced knowledge in areas such as risk management, corporate social responsibility, and ethics in finance.
With guidance from your faculty mentor and other doctoral student support staff, design a research project and complete your dissertation on a management topic that supports your personal interests and expertise.
With an emphasis on global and multidisciplinary aspects of HR management, prepare to create solutions-oriented strategies for HR initiatives across a variety of settings.
Explore cutting-edge topics such as cybersecurity, strategic IT leadership, and managing a digital workforce and virtual teams.
Develop alternative conceptualizations of management, gain a deeper understanding of what a socially conscious leader is, and create 21st-century leadership practices.
Explore the changes in organizational innovation agility and develop leadership strategies informed by design thinking.
Create your own management PhD specialization based on your individual goals and interests.
Earn Your Master of Philosophy Degree Along the Way
Walden understands the rigors involved with preparing for your doctorate. To signify how far you’ve come on your journey, you will be eligible to be awarded a Master of Philosophy (MPhil) degree upon completion of program requirements, prior to completion of your dissertation.
Walden is one of a few universities that offer this advanced research master’s degree. Highlight your academic achievement and show employers and others that you possess comprehensive knowledge in your field of study.
Graduates of this PhD in Management program will be prepared to:
- Evaluate the evolution of the field of management and organizations and its influence on human and societal development.
- Analyze key theories, concepts, and tools as they relate to the functioning of leadership and organizations.
- Evaluate management and systems thinking principles that have influenced the development of organizations and societal systems.
- Evaluate the relevance of seminal, current, and emerging management and organizational change theory and practice from an interdisciplinary perspective.
- Demonstrate the skills needed to conduct research that contributes to positive social change.
Earning your doctorate is the ultimate intellectual achievement, elevating you to the highest level of proficiency in your field. PhDs are highly valued in teaching at the university level, and organizations seek candidates with advanced critical thinking and research skills for executive leadership positions.
Walden’s online PhD in Management program equips you with a solid foundation in research as well as contemporary knowledge of key management topics. Enhance your résumé with relevant expertise and hands-on experience that pave the way to new career opportunities—and a competitive salary.
What Can I Do With a Management PhD?
A PhD in Management degree can prepare you to work as a researcher, teacher, or high-level leader in a variety of organizations across all types of industries. Career options include:
- College faculty
- Chief people officer (CPO)
- Chief research and development officer (CR&D)
- Chief innovation officer (CIO)
- Chief knowledge officer (CKO)
- Information technology specialist
- Artificial intelligence researcher specialist
- Organizational research analyst
- Market research analyst
- Business development manager
- Competitive intelligence analyst
- Quantitative financial analyst
- Operations research analyst
- Product manager
- Management consultant
Career options may require additional experience, training, or other factors beyond the successful completion of this degree program.
The instructors, academic advising, the library, and a host of other resources available to Walden University students are top-notch, and the personal phone calls are motivational.
Patricia Jenks-Greene PhD in Management Graduate
I thoroughly enjoyed my Walden experience as a PhD student, and I have recommended Walden to students who approach me upon graduation from programs I teach as an adjunct professor.
Andrew Sherman PhD in Management Graduate
I managed to complete my Walden PhD while dealing with my husband’s congestive heart failure.
Bridget Dewees PhD in Management Graduate